Modern Technology has changed this world in many different ways. Humans species have always been evolving, but thanks to technology twentieth and twenty-first century have seen a number of advancement that has changed the way people work.
It is simply an advancement of old technology. It is all about speed and efficiency. For example, transportation technology, at one time steam-powered trains were widely used, now they have been replaced by electric powered trains that are much faster.
The impact of technology is quite significant. We use technology on a daily basis to accomplish a certain task. Technology has always shaped human life and informed our understanding of what it means to be Human.
From the year 2000, mobile phone technology has evolved so much. Nowadays we use smartphones, which seem to be becoming smarter than Humans.
And advances in modern technology, from computers to smartphones, have yielded tremendous benefits. But do these developments actually encourage human flourishing?
The Importance of Modern Technology
- Communication is the core element of society’s foundation. It is used among our families and friends. Technology has greatly improved the way we communicate with each other.
- Cellphones, social networking sites, email has greatly improved the way we communicate with each other. Therefore, it has made communication much faster and more accessible to us.
- Special needs students – There are plenty of mobile applications that help students with special needs with digital education aids. Moreover, online learning and computer technology activities hugely help to bridge the gap between regular and disabled students by making knowledge easily accessible.
- Global platform – Education that is run by technology has widened. Many learning institutions currently offer online courses that students can access from anywhere they may be. For example, Video convention and applications such as Skype are a platform for students and teachers to share knowledge conveniently.
- Electronic health records – In the past, hospitals had different information systems that were clumsy in their ability to share and transfer patient records. With the arrival of EHRs, many systems have been connected, allowing for faster information transfers and more integrated and efficient care.
- Wearable Technology – The wearable medical device market is growing quickly. These devices collect data, which helps doctors and patients alike monitor and assess the health of the wearer.
Advantages of Modern Technology
- Easy Access to Information
- In older days to get a piece of information, you had to put a lot of effort. But nowadays, to access a piece of information has become quite easy.
- Lots of data is being published online with sites like Wikipedia, YouTube, etc. As a result, all you have to do is take out your smartphone, go online and just type the relevant keywords and there are literally thousands of sites at your disposal.
- Encourages Innovation and Creativity
- Since technology seems infinite, it sparks the brain to work to its full potential. In the past, it used to be very difficult to start a business, one had to have lots of capital, and they even had limited access to business information.
- Today, it is simple to start a business while at home. For example, let’s look at companies like Etsy.com which enable creative people to sell their works online; this encourages creativity.
Disadvantages of Modern Technology
- Over alliance on Gadgets
- Reliance on mobile phones, computers, and other digital gadgets has become common.
- Many people have all their contact information, photographs, texts, and other personal information on their phones. If they lose them, or the gadget breaks or runs out of power, then they are in trouble
- Increased Loneliness
- People are spending more time on social media that they feel there no need to go outside and meet new people. As a result, Social interaction in this Digital Age has become quite dull.
- Similarly, People spend so much time playing video games and using other technologies that they are becoming more and more isolated.
- Remember the Artificial Intelligence Robots you see in the movies like Avengers, I Robot, Ex Ma china, etc. What if this fantasy became a reality. What was once a plot device in Sci-Fi flicks is in the process of being born.
- Artificial Intelligence has the potential to improve our daily lives. Their narrow AI’s embedded in your GPS system, Amazon recommendation.
- 5G technology is the next generation of wireless communication. It is expected to provide an internet connection that is least 40 times faster than 4G LTE. 5G technology may use a variety of spectrum bands, including the millimeter wave radio spectrum.
- With 5G, data transmitted over wireless broadband connections could travel at rates as high as 20 Gbps. By some estimates exceeding wireline network speeds as well as offer latency of 1 ms or lower for uses that require real-time feedback.
- Machine learning is used in the finance industry to understand financial market trends.
- Similarly, applications that use machine learning help in calculating financial risks and planning for the changing market. The retail sector, on the other hand, uses machine learning for recommendations when you make an online purchase.
In conclusion, the way technology is moving forward, and the way it’s impacting our lives future of our humanity seems quite interesting. We have so much to look forward to, I am quite excited to be part of it.
To learn more about this topic I recommend following books:
- Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
- How We Got to Now: Six Innovations That Made the Modern World
- The Fourth Age: Smart Robots, Conscious Computers, and the Future of Humanity